Thursday, August 2, 2007

No one likes a scratched LP

I hate when people say 'everything happens for a reason,' because while I agree wholeheartedly with the search for silver linings, things don't usually just 'happen.' People make decisions, which lead to situations, and because of those situations other people make other decisions. I agree with the existentialists that life is the sum of one's choices, and that even includes the choices one makes when something 'happens.'
So here's the thing. Over six years ago I made a choice, based in part on the choices of two other people whose lives had a direct effect on mine, and it was the wrong one. At that point my life stopped moving in a forward direction and has taken turns stuttering and running circularly. I know there's no point in dwelling, since I can't go back and make another choice (and all I could really do if I could do that is ask more questions in order to make a more informed decision - I still don't know what the right choice would have been, just that the one I made wasn't it). So I am just hoping that directing my intention toward smoothing out the scratch on the record of my brain, without actually knowing how that can happen, will bring about some more forward momentum. Because it's getting frustrating in this quagmire and I'd like to get out.

No comments: