Thursday, October 11, 2007

London! Yay!

My friend just gave me the best news. Better than the news that he is getting married, this news makes me not just happy but grateful. He's getting married in a London bar. Flights to England cost $800, regardless of the time of year (I would like some answers for why taxes on international flights are 100% of the ticket price), so an English wedding normally costs an American visitor the price of the flight, a train ride to some country location, a hotel room for two nights, and the necessity of a friend to drive her around. A wedding in London means that an American visitor can stay with mutual friends in London, and everyone can take a cab to the venue, drink loads and not have to worry about driving home. I love my friend for making this decision and implore all of my friends, in London and otherwise, to make such decisions from now on. Don't get married in Vergennes, Vermont; Tarrytown, New York; or Saco, Maine (beautiful, moving weddings all). Get married in a bar in New York or a restaurant in Boston or a lounge in Washington, where everyone has at least one friend or relative to stay with for free and can take a cab or even a subway to the event and back. Please. As a wedding-poor, perennially single, carless urban dweller I BEG YOU.

No comments: